At Solutions Journalism Network, we work with many of the nation’s leading news organizations and independent journalists to produce credible and compelling stories about what’s working (and what’s not) in public education, public health, criminal justice, and environmental sustainability.
We are currently seeking a CPA with deep nonprofit accounting experience to join our team in New York City as Director of Finance. This role requires a balance of excellent management, communication skills, and flexibility. Ours is an entrepreneurial and rapidly changing organization, and we thrive on working in a fun, collaborative, and creative environment.
The Director of Finance will work with the Executive Team and with all Directors and Managers throughout the organization to:
- Actively manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards.
- Review and perform required journal entries and adjustments as well as complex entries for accuracy and completeness; responsible for the accuracy of all general ledger account balances.
- Perform all day-to-day accounting and monthly reporting activities, including overseeing and/or processing of contributions, grants, and pledges; invoicing of corporate partners; accounts receivable and collection management.
- Oversee all grant management and reporting; and development of budgets for grant proposals.
- Maintain revenue schedules – ensuring the use of correct revenue recognition methodology according to GAAP rules.
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner. Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against budget with a view to identify, explain and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit committee around issues and trends in financial operating models.
- Work directly with external auditors throughout the annual audit process, prepare financial schedules and supporting documentation for the audit, and ensure compliance with local, state, and federal financial reporting requirements.
- Forecast organizational cash flow at least quarterly.
- Run the monthly closing process.
- Work actively with the CFO and senior program management on the annual organization wide budget process including the preparation of budget templates, work with program team to complete all templates, and enter the budget in Quickbooks.
- Manage an external bookkeeper and work closely and collaboratively with the Administrative Director and Development Associate.
- Maintain, monitor, and continuously improve accounting procedures and internal controls.
- Review and enter payroll; and perform ad hoc financial administrative items
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience as a Director of Finance for a nonprofit with a budget of at least $2 million dollars per year
- CPA preferably as a manager of both for profit and nonprofit organizations
- A four year degree in Accounting is strongly preferred; MBA is a plus
- Experience being in charge of the audit and Form 990 preparation
- Demonstrated knowledge of revenue recognition rules for nonprofit and for profit accounting
- Expert knowledge of QuickBooks and advanced Excel capabilities
- Good working knowledge of Salesforce
What We Offer:
- The chance to work with talented and passionate professionals
- An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
- A competitive compensation package including medical, dental, and vision benefits
How to Apply
For consideration, please forward your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please note “Director of Finance” in the subject line of your email.